2.1.2. User Roles
The following are the different types of User Roles.
- Administrator Role, viz. Admin
- SysAdmin Role, viz. SysAdmin
- Participant Role, viz. User
- Planner Role, viz,. Planner
A Participant (or) simply User Role, is a group of Users who participates in the rollout but does not manage or make decisions on a release.
For e.g. consider a scenario of a rollout for a Customer Portal application which has upto 5 participants: Release Admin, DBA, Platform analyst (Unix or Windows server), Business Analyst & Developer . Each of these are called as a participant in a release.
Note: Administrator user is a "Participant" with elevated privileges.
A participant can only do limited activities in rolloutMan or a rollout. Their roles are mostly around the Tasks management and have limited powers to do any admin tasks on the rollout itself.
Some of these are :
- View only the rollouts where they are participants
- Add a Task in a rollout
- Delete the tasks owned by himself
- Edit a task owned by himself
- Add a comment on any task
- Reassign a task to another user in same group
Users in a group with all Observer privileges have read only permissions. This role is to be assigned to users who should have ReadOnly Access. These are usually managers (or) senior management (or) third party members, etc, who just need to be kept "Informed" in a typical RACI matrix, and do not have any actions assigned to them.
A SysAdmin user (or) system admin user is the platform owner for the product. This user is responsible for the following:
- Starting and Stopping of the application
- Managing application health and taking remedial actions if needed
- Configure some key system level configurations under Configuration > Administration section.
In other words, this user will most commonly be someone with platform management skills, and will be responsible for managing the rolloutMan application platform.
There are slight variations on which environment this user is available:
- This user is not applicable for a public hosted / shared multi-tenant application installation
- This user is applicable for on-prem or private hosted application installation in which case this becomes a dedicated application
Administrator Rols is assigned to group which should have administrator privileges. This role is synonymous with "Release Admin" Role. A user with this role can do the following:
- Manage Initial Configurations for the whole application.
- Add Users & Assign Roles
- Add & Manage Rollouts
- Add Tasks for all users and assign them
- Move Rollouts
- Add and manage releases
- Generate reports
- View Installation Administration Settings
This user has the most privileges in the application. This user however will not be able to do the following:
- Manage Installation Administration settings.
Depending upon the type of installation, this user is created slightly differently.
- In a Cloud hosted environment, the user which registers for the first time will be the "Administrator" or Release Admin role.
- In a on-prem environment, this user will be created along with Customer onboarding, and a number of users will be added as Administrator role, depending on the requirements.
Administrator user can always add another user on to the system and assign them with Administrator privileges.